Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Web 2.0 - Social Media - Transparency

1. Today many TV shows and advertisements try to look amateurish or "homegrown" to emulate what is often seen on the Web. Do you think professional production values will continue to drop, or do you think amateur user-generated content will get better over time? WHY? 

I believe its just a strategy used by production companies on purpose to get the effect that you are on your computer or you are looking at a computer screen. I don't think that this "homegrown" or amateur look is going to continue or be used by all TV shows and ad companies. I think that professional production values will only get better and I don't see this amateur user-generated content to continue (but if it does I think that only has more room to improve as well.

2. What social media sites do you find yourself using the most, and why? In your opinion why is Facebook so much more successful than MySpace, and do you think Facebook is "here to stay" for the long term.

I definitely find myself on Facebook much more than any social media site on the web. I feel like Facebook has absolutely taken over the world of social networking, and because of it's ability to sustain itself with constant upgrades and improvements, I do not see Facebook dropping off the map like Myspace did. What Myspace lacked was the professional feel that targets older audiences such as the college level student, and I feel like as a result it did not stay for the long term.

before answering question #3 please read the Transparency in Social Media Blog Article

3. Why is transparency such an important concept in the Social Media world? Is it MORE or LESS important in the offline world? Why?


I feel like transparency is such an important concept in the Social Media world because everything you post or tweet on a social media site has substance to it and its there in writing. You are essentially accountable for what you write and the factor of communication between you and your peers adds that binding to your words. I think transparency is less important in the offline world because you are not necessarily bound to everything you say or do whereas in the online world, everything is there in your words and your writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment